A D A M S of L A N E A S T
Within the Parish of Lanest dwelt my Adams or Addams family. Laneast,
not listed on map shown,
would be just north of Altarnun, west of Launceston and east of Camelford
John Adams/Addams and English Chubb/Glubb/Crabb
My 6th Great Grandfather was John Adams who married English Chubb on the 20th of
June 1698. They are known to have had two children as follows:
- English Addam christened at Laneast on the 24th of July,
1702; who married John Whetter on the 28th of June, 1732.
- Mary Adams? 1704? (Another source gives this Mary Adams, it is the
same source which has John Adams marrying Joan Hill after their daughter
English Adams below was Christened.)
- John Adams my 5th Great Grandfather christened 28th of April 1710 at Laneast.
He married twice and his second wife Sarah Bath is my 5th Great Grandmother by
whom he had four known children
John Adams and Joan Hill
My 5th Great Grandfather was John Adams, Yeoman of Laneast. He married 1st
Joan/Jone ?Hill/Jenkin? on the 1st of May 1738 at St. Gluvias (Note: Some
make this Jone Hill who married a John Adams at Tremaine, 14 May
1739, this would mean that they married after their daughter English
Adams was christened at Laneast on 16 March 1739. There is a Nicholas Hill
will which supports this
connection.) by whom he had 6 known children as follows:
- English Adams christened at Laneast on the 16th March, 1739. She married
Nevill Northy/Northey of Altarnun at Lewannick on the 27th of August, 1759. They
had 5 known children all christened at Altarnun. Later it appears, as English
Northey, she marries secondly John Evans on the 27th of October, 1788 at
Lewannick as she is recorded in her father's 1801 will as his daughter inglish
- Mary Adams was christened at Laneast on the 20th of October, 1741. She
married William Smieth/Smeeth of St. Gennys/Ginnis on the 7th of May, 1764.
- Elizabeth Adams christened at Laneast on the 30th of November, 1743. She
married William Thomas Vosper of Lewannick on the 26th of March, 1765. This was
the Vosper family of Royal decent and they had two known sons John and George.
- John Adams christened at Laneast on the 14th of July, 1745.
- Joan Adams christened at Laneast on the 23rd of June, 1747. She married a
Pardon of North Petherwin.
- George Adams christened at Laneast on the 9th of July, 1749. He married
Margaret Brown of Altarnun on the 18th of November, 1773.
John Adams and Sarah Bath
Joan, John's first wife died and was buried on the 21st of April, 1750. This John
Adams then remarried my 5th Great Grandmother Sarah
Bath of Egloskerry on the 7th
of April 1752 at Laneast. They had four known children as follows:
- Sarah Adams christened 9th of September, 1753 at Laneast. She was my 4th
Great Grandmother who married Thomas Hender of Altarnun on the 20th of March,
1776. She was buried in Altarnun 21 April 1829 at the age of 75.
See Hender of Altarnun for this family.
- Honour Adams christened September, 1755 at Laneast. She married a Ham/Harn
of St. Minver.
- William Adams christened May 1759 at Laneast.
- Christian Adams christened on the 30 March, 1761 at Laneast. She was not
married as she was mentally retarded (an idiot) and was left in the care of her
sister Sarah Adams Hender my 4th Great Grandmother or John Adams her brother.
This John Adams, my 5th Great Grandfather, wrote his will in 1801. This will
was proved and dated in 1803, the same year in which he was buried. The
will of John Adams is what cements this family unit
together by those who are listed there in. For example and amongst others, John
lists his daughter Elizabeth Vosper of the Parish of Lewannick, his daughter Sarah
Hender of the Parish of Altarnun, his sons John and William Adams, and his idiote
daughter Christian Adams. This John Adams, my 5th Great Grandfather, was buried
at Laneast on the 4th of February, 1803.
Speak to me via this mail if You wish.
rev. 5 November 2011